Advanced Melody Composing Course With Eric Ng and Jim Lim
This course is taught by award-winning composers Eric Ng 黄韵仁 and Jim Lim 林倛玉, who will be sharing trade secrets, tips and tricks, and their personal experience in the music industry.
Aspiring songwriters and musicians will be able to finesse their skills in melodic composing and understand what goes on behind the scenes of creating a successful hit song.
Mentorship will be provided for developing your unique songwriting style.
- Productive songwriting thought processes, including how to create a catchy “hook” by using motifs and other melodic concepts, to leave a lasting impression on listeners
- Understanding how chords work and to introduce more advanced chords to create a more sophisticated sound
- Learn tips and tricks that are used in many hit songs
- Understanding and composing for current popular genres and singers
- Hands-on experience – composing songs based on actual briefs from recording artistes/record labels
- Foundation demo arrangement, mixing strategies, production and instrument/vocal recording skills
- Understanding the role of vocals in melody composing, and how to get the best out of your demo recording
- Understanding the industry’s workings, such as knowledge of copyright and marketing know-hows.
- Regular guided assignments/song reviews will be given to reinforce topics covered. Collaboration opportunities within the class and with Advanced Lyric Writing course students will be given.
- Final showcase: Students from both Advanced Melody Composing and Advanced Lyric Writing courses will collaborate to present their completed works at the end of the course.
Applicants are required to have basic music foundation and knowledge (able to play the family of chords in C and G) or have experience in composing melodies to attend this course. For applicants that are applying directly to this course (without completing Melody Composing course), please submit 2 demo recordings in MP3 format with the following details for assessment.
Email to email@example.com
Email Subject: Advanced Melody Composing Course Demo Submission
Please include the following:
- Contact Number
*Note: Phone recordings are permitted, as long as the final audio clip is clear. Vocals with a clear melodic line needs to be present. Lyrics are optional.